Independent Living Specialist - Laramie and Cheyenne
Apply on Indeed.Com
** A cover letter is required**
Independent Living Specialist
Full-time (Monday-Friday) positions available in Casper, Cheyenne, and Laramie
About the position
Do you have personal experience with a disability and would like to work with a supportive team, in a flexible work environment to empower people with disabilities to live independent and inclusive lives? Wyoming Independent Living’s (WIL’s) mission is to advance independence, dignity, and a world without barriers where people with disabilities are empowered to participate fully in our communities and fulfil their individual life choices.
Independent Living Specialist empower individuals with disabilities to address barriers in order to regain, maintain or increase their independence and access the life and community which is most meaningful to them.
Partner with eligible consumers to:
- Locate disability related information and resources
- Build a support network of peers with disabilities
- Learn new skills for independent living
- Transition into the community of your choice
- Advocate for the rights, resources and services that are key to their success
- Assess needs and develop a plan to address
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Assist consumers to establish Independent Living Goals and Plans
- Provide ongoing support as consumers move toward stated goals
- Provide information and referral on disability related resources
- Provide individualized and group training in independent living skills
- Co-facilitate workshops such as Living Well with a Disability
- Coordinate peer support for independent living through consumer groups and peer mentoring
- Educate consumers and the community on disability history, disability rights and disability pride
- Coordinate and conduct community outreach and systems advocacy
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with community partners and stakeholders
- Develop specialized knowledge as assigned in areas that may include employment, housing, adaptive technology, home modification, disability benefits, etc.
- Maintain accurate and timely consumer records, including case notes and documentation
- Travel throughout designated service area to meet with consumers and other stakeholders.
- Participate in staff training and related conferences
- Other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified and employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to connect to people
- Interviewing and facilitation skills
- Ability to plan, implement and document programs and services
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Two years of related experience and/or education
- Personal experience with a disability
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Knowledge of disability related issues and resources
- Experience with or knowledge of Centers for Independent Living
Wyoming Independent Living, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with disabilities are
strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided.